Monday, September 30, 2013

Model Writing with Your Students Without a Keyboard!

Do you model the process of writing in front of your students? Do you use a document camera, or maybe type out the text on a computer connected to a projector? Are you looking for a way to make this process more efficient? These were many questions that I have had through the years as I have modeled writing in front of students. I just found a new way to model writing with just my voice!

Today my class and I were working on improving the kinds of introductions we are using on our pieces. As part of this process, students have a menu of introductions to choose from, which they adapt to meet the needs of the piece they are writing. I always start by modeling this process on a piece that I'm writing for my class. To do this, I've been typing the text into a Google doc and sharing it with students so they can look at my example any time they'd like. The problem is my computer is situated in a location where it's difficult to see the projected image. In addition, I am hidden behind my desk in the corner of the room while I'm typing. This isn't the ideal teaching situation.

I was trying to find a better way to do this. I had the idea to use my iPad (you could use a phone too, but it wouldn't be ideal) to help me enter the text into my Google doc. My iPad has Siri, so all I have to do is speak what I want to type and Siri will do the rest! The students are actually amazed to see me say something and then have it appear on the screen in front of the room. To be honest with you, I was a little impressed too! Now I am able to walk around the room and interact with the students as I model my writing instead of sitting in front of a document camera or behind a desk.

Setting It All Up
These directions will work for an IOS device with Siri installed such as an iPhone 4s, 5, 5c, or 5s, or an iPad mini or iPad 3.
  1. Install the Google Drive app on to your device. Log in to your school Google account using your email address and your active directory password. 
  2. Create a blank document where you'd like to model writing. You may want to share this document with your students.
  3. Open the Google doc on a computer connected to a projector. You should be showing your blank Google doc on the screen. 
  4. Open the Google doc on your mobile device. Go into editing mode by tapping the screen where you want to start entering the text. Click the Siri microphone at the bottom of the screen next to the space bar. Speak the words you want to turn into text with the iPad in your hand. It helps to say one sentence at a time. It also helps to say "period" at the end of the sentence so the computer will enter a period and you'll be ready to speak the next sentence. You may have to touch the microphone to stop recording. Once you do this, the text may take a few seconds to update in both locaitons.
I haven't found a way to do this with a device without Siri, but that doesn't mean it's not possible. It looks like the days of the keyboard may be numbered. What a fun and efficient way to model a writing piece! Have fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment